Orthodontics is a treatment of teeth irregularities. It done by specially trained personnel who are referred to as orthodontists. Orthodontics is a wide field in terms of the irregularities that they correct and also the many treatment methods that they use to correct these irregularities. Some of the irregularities that orthodontics is involved in correcting include;
• Overbite-this is where the upper front teeth lie too far forward over the lower teeth
• Under bite-this is where the lower teeth are too far forward while the upper teeth are too far back
• Open bite-this is when there is space between biting surfaces of the front or side teeth when the back teeth bite together
• Cross bite-this is when the upper teeth do not come down slightly in front of the lower teeth when normally biting together
• Misplaced midline-this is where the centre of your upper front teeth does not line up with the centre of your lower front teeth
• Spacing-this is when there are gaps between the teeth as a result of missing teeth or teeth that don’t fill up the gum adequately
• Crowding-this is when there are too many teeth for the dental ridge to accommodate.